CyrusOne Publishes Initial Sustainability Report
Annual Report Measures Global Environmental Progress for CyrusOne and Customers
Dallas, Texas – October 13, 2020 – CyrusOne Inc. (NASDAQ: CONE), a premier global data center real estate investment trust (REIT), today published its 2020 Sustainability Report highlighting progress toward its sustainability goals and the company’s emphasis on building data centers designed for a sustainable future. The annual report also focuses on CyrusOne’s responsibilities to the community and its stakeholders, showcasing how the company is fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace and appropriately aligning incentives.
“As one of the largest colocation data center companies in the world, we have a responsibility to reduce the environmental impact that our facilities create and provide solutions compatible with a sustainable future,” said Bruce W. Duncan, President, and Chief Executive Officer at CyrusOne. “Our goal at CyrusOne is to empower our customers with creative solutions that help them scale new technology solutions while reducing our collective environmental footprint.”
The CyrusOne 2020 Sustainability Report shares sustainability progress and initiatives, encompassing energy and carbon, water, habitat, social responsibility, and corporate governance. Highlights include:
- Energy-Efficient Building Design: The soon-to-be-completed Council Bluffs I data center incorporates CyrusOne’s standardized build with many energy-efficient features. Upon completion, the site will achieve low Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE), without depleting local water supplies.
- Carbon Zero by 2040: As some first steps on CyrusOne’s journey to zero carbon emissions, its London I, London II, London III, and Amsterdam data centers are running on 100% renewable energy, delivering sustainable infrastructure to customers globally.
- Net-Positive Water in High-Stress Regions: CyrusOne’s largest colocation data center campus in Chandler, Arizona, is located in an extremely high water-stressed area. CyrusOne restored 40% more water than the facility used in 2019, creating a net addition of water to the community.
- Onsite Habitat Improvement: CyrusOne’s Dublin location incorporates a landscape design focused on creating areas of grassland, wildflower meadows, and pollinator-friendly wetlands with an emphasis on native plant species.
- Health, Safety and Wellness: CyrusOne has robust programs in place to help improve the health and well-being of employees and local communities. This dedication has resulted in a Recordable Injury Rate (RIR) for 2019, that was 1/3 of industry peers, and Days Away, Restricted or Transferred (DART) came in at 40% better than the industry average.
“With our initial Sustainability Report, we focused on transparency, taking a comprehensive view in evaluating our environmental footprint,” said Kyle Myers, Director of Environmental Health, Safety, and Sustainability, at CyrusOne. “Traditionally, the industry focus is on PUE, without taking the massive water usage needed to offset this number into consideration, which is why we place a high emphasis on all types of natural resources to evaluate a comprehensive global impact.”
The CyrusOne 2020 Sustainability Report provides disclosure compatible with three third-party standards, adhering to The Taskforce for Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TFCD) recommendations, the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards, and the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) guidance.
For more information on sustainability programs at CyrusOne, visit the CyrusOne sustainability website.
CyrusOne (NASDAQ: CONE) is a premier global REIT specializing in design, construction and operation of more than 50 high-performance data centers worldwide. The company provides mission-critical facilities that ensure the continued operation of IT infrastructure for approximately 1,000 customers, including approximately 200 Fortune 1,000 companies.
A leader in hybrid-cloud and multi-cloud deployments, CyrusOne offers colocation, hyperscale, and build-to-suit environments that help customers enhance the strategic connection of their essential data infrastructure and support achievement of sustainability goals. CyrusOne data centers offer world-class flexibility, enabling clients to modernize, simplify, and rapidly respond to changing demand. Combining exceptional financial strength with a broad global footprint, CyrusOne provides customers with long-term stability and strategic advantage at scale.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All statements, other than statements of historical facts, are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. These statements are based on current expectations, estimates, forecasts, and projections about the industries in which we operate and the beliefs and assumptions of our management as of the date of this press release. Words such as “pledges,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “predicts,” “projects,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “seeks,” “estimates,” “continues,” “endeavors,” “strives,” “may,” variations of such words and similar expressions are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. In addition, any statements that refer to projections of our future financial performance or operations, our anticipated growth and trends in our and our customers’ respective businesses and industries, and other characterizations of future events or circumstances, including statements about becoming carbon neutral by 2040, are forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned these forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and assumptions that are subject to risks and uncertainties, which could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those reflected in the forward-looking statements. More information on these risks and uncertainties and other potential factors that could affect the Company’s business and financial results is included in CyrusOne’s filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including in the “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” sections of the Company’s most recently filed periodic reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and subsequent filings. The Company disclaims any obligation other than as required by law to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement to reflect changes in underlying assumptions or factors or for new information, data or methods, future events or other changes.
David M. Baum